Friday, March 30, 2012

long time to establish a connection

When I login using QA to my SQL Server database, it takes 15-20 seconds
to establish a connection and open a query window. Drilling into a
database via Enterprise Manager is similar. Once the connection is
established, the server runs plenty fast however.

Can someone tell me why it could take a long time for a connection to
be established?

This behavior occurs when I am local on the box.

Thanks,
John(john.livermore@.inginix.com) writes:
> When I login using QA to my SQL Server database, it takes 15-20 seconds
> to establish a connection and open a query window. Drilling into a
> database via Enterprise Manager is similar. Once the connection is
> established, the server runs plenty fast however.
> Can someone tell me why it could take a long time for a connection to
> be established?
> This behavior occurs when I am local on the box.

One thing to check for is the autoclose on databases. You should be
able to investigate this with sp_helpdb.

Another thing that I have seen is that if I have a QA window open, stop
SQL Server and restart, connections after this takes a long time. Apparently
something is happening to shared memory. Needless to say, these problems
goes away after a reboot.

--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@.sommarskog.se

Books Online for SQL Server SP3 at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techin.../2000/books.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment