Friday, March 30, 2012

Long text

Hi,
I have written a UDF that calls itself and nests its operation. The output
is a varchar value in XML format. But sometimes the XML is more than 8000
characters and varchar is small for that. It is not possible to use text
data type. What can I do?
Any help would be greatly appreciated,
LeilaCan you form the XML using FOR XML instead of your own recursive UDF?
--
Adam Machanic
SQL Server MVP
http://www.sqljunkies.com/weblog/amachanic
--
"Leila" <leilas@.hotpop.com> wrote in message
news:%23XJncCx5EHA.2624@.TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
> I have written a UDF that calls itself and nests its operation. The output
> is a varchar value in XML format. But sometimes the XML is more than 8000
> characters and varchar is small for that. It is not possible to use text
> data type. What can I do?
> Any help would be greatly appreciated,
> Leila
>|||Actually I tried, maybe it's because lack of my skills in writing queries
that I couldn't use FOR XML, hence used UDF. Could you please have a look to
my post with subject: Retrieving Data in XML Format
Thanks
"Adam Machanic" <amachanic@.hotmail._removetoemail_.com> wrote in message
news:us1MORx5EHA.2316@.TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Can you form the XML using FOR XML instead of your own recursive UDF?
> --
> Adam Machanic
> SQL Server MVP
> http://www.sqljunkies.com/weblog/amachanic
> --
>
> "Leila" <leilas@.hotpop.com> wrote in message
> news:%23XJncCx5EHA.2624@.TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>> Hi,
>> I have written a UDF that calls itself and nests its operation. The
>> output
>> is a varchar value in XML format. But sometimes the XML is more than 8000
>> characters and varchar is small for that. It is not possible to use text
>> data type. What can I do?
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated,
>> Leila
>>
>|||Start reading:
www.sqlxml.org
Adam Machanic
SQL Server MVP
http://www.sqljunkies.com/weblog/amachanic
--
"Leila" <leilas@.hotpop.com> wrote in message
news:uNJZHFy5EHA.3472@.TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Actually I tried, maybe it's because lack of my skills in writing queries
> that I couldn't use FOR XML, hence used UDF. Could you please have a look
to
> my post with subject: Retrieving Data in XML Format
> Thanks
>
>
> "Adam Machanic" <amachanic@.hotmail._removetoemail_.com> wrote in message
> news:us1MORx5EHA.2316@.TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> > Can you form the XML using FOR XML instead of your own recursive UDF?
> >
> > --
> > Adam Machanic
> > SQL Server MVP
> > http://www.sqljunkies.com/weblog/amachanic
> > --
> >
> >
> > "Leila" <leilas@.hotpop.com> wrote in message
> > news:%23XJncCx5EHA.2624@.TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> >> Hi,
> >> I have written a UDF that calls itself and nests its operation. The
> >> output
> >> is a varchar value in XML format. But sometimes the XML is more than
8000
> >> characters and varchar is small for that. It is not possible to use
text
> >> data type. What can I do?
> >> Any help would be greatly appreciated,
> >> Leila
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
>

No comments:

Post a Comment